Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Please help analyze my situation, use points or pay
Here is my situation.
– I have 4 united GPU left for 2016. My wife got her 1K member with 6 new GPU for 2017.
– I am about $650 short to be United Gold member for 2017 ($6000 requirement).
– I want to go to Singapore for visiting families and hope to put my remaining GPU to good use before it expire.
– I have 260K united miles and my wife has 350k united miles in account.
– we have 2 kids, 4 and 6 years old.
1. Round trip ticket for family of 4 is $5023, can be upgraded instantly to business class both ways.
– pro: GPU can be put to good use. I think $5000 for 4 international business class ticket round trip (20 hours each way) is a good deal. and I get to get Gold status for 2017 after spending about $1K.
2. $4400 to fly coach one way and upgraded to business on return trip.
pro: I save $600 just for one way coach, save my wife GPU to later use which I am not sure when. For me, $600 is small portion of money, since I spend $4400 already, I would rather spend additional $600 to get the business class.
Use saver award for round trip, forget about GPU.
pro: my wife thinking is we save $4500 just to do coach, which will cover hotels and money we will spend at singapore.
cons: i will not get gold status, waste 4 GPU.
– don’t go see family, just use points for carribbean location or disney, find other times to visit.
cons: too late to plan anything like that now since it is too close to the end of year. GPU will be wasted
A few of my thoughts.
-we will plan for europe vacation in summer of 2017, we haven’t done research, most likely we will use points to take advantage of stopover rules. so if i don’t use the GPU now, all of them will be wasted. maybe we could use GPU if we buy tickets, not sure yet.
– if we want to go to see family back home which we do every 2 years, we might not be able to fly business class anymore because I don’t think i will use 160K round trip to get there, i would rather use the points for hawaii or europe trip which i think is good value.
– we try to buy round trip to hong kong, or japan or china and use miles for the remaining trip, the ticket price is always higher than going directly to singapore.
– if i use miles for one way and buy ticket to return trip just to use up the remaining 4 GPU, the one way ticket price is more expensive than roundtrip ticket.
Please let me know your thought….
I would go with option 1, because that seems like a great overall value, especially if you can confirm the upgrades right away. But, it really always comes down to your own finances.
I generally think miles are a better use to Europe, so that would be a good choice. Hoping to use miles to Hawaii will likely lead to disappointment, honestly.