Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Passenger rights question
Im new to this forum. I couldn’t find answer to my specific question so here goes
2019: While traveling with Lufthansa from Prague to LAX via Frankfurt my connection was delayed and I missed the flight to LAX.
The Lufthansa agent put me on the next flight out to SFO connecting on to LAX with Alaska air. I had to wait for six hours the end traveled for 24 after a further delay in SFO
It was all miserable and I’d much have preferred to stay overnight in FRA and flown my planned proper route the next day.
Did I have to comply with what the Lufthansa agent was insisting ?
As a consumer what were my options exactly ?
I’ve looked at EU 261 as mentioned – shouldn I apply for compensation?
Thank you for any help
[USER=4]@Lucky[/USER] with Norwegian transatlantic gone – who is the best deal for biz and first now flying from west coast USA to EU?
Hi Rowena, it’s certainly worth trying for compensation via EU 261. Do you remember why your flight was originally delayed? As long as it wasn’t weather related, you should have a case.
Unfortunately, Lufthansa is known to be pretty stingy with EU 261 compensation though. I’d be sure to have any evidence prepared, especially since you are going back to 2019 (which itself isn’t an issue – EU 261 does set a deadline by which you can claim compensation).
As far as accepting what the agent said in Frankfurt at the time… you didn’t have to accept. Overnighting in Frankfurt would have been an option, but it would have been at your expense (unless the delay was more than 4 hours).
Thank you so much for responding.
The delay was weather related. So that’s that. But I’ll be prepared to overnight instead next time.
No worries! Sorry I was the bearer of bad news. Typically when you’re stuck in an irregular operation situation with an airline (delay, cancellation, etc.), if you’re comfortable enough researching on your own on the spot, the best thing you can do is be prepared to share with the agent on-site your own preferred way to get home. For instance, in your situation, if you were able to check (on your phone, tablet) that there was space on the same flight the next day… and specifically ask the agent to be placed on that flight. Agents will naturally try to do the easiest thing, and also assume most people would rather get home and not overnight… so it’s best to be your own best advocate.