Questions and Answers

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!

Filter by:

AA Flagship First Check In LAX


Global Entry Conditional Approval

Can you help?

Chase BA 10% Discount – Credit to AAdvantage?


Daily Emails?


QR Lounge access transiting Doha from First to Business


Site Feedback

Hot topic, get involved

Transiting LHR on a BA First Class/Club Europe Ticket




How do I deal w extra seat reservation?


Password Change


Ask a Question

Everyone can read and comment, but you must login to post a new comment.

Answers (4)

Long Layover in Hong Kong

Long Layover in Hong Kong

  1. Anonymous

    I will be traveling on United from SFO to Hong Kong in late May and will have a 12 hour layover before traveling to Denpasar Bali on Hong Kong Airlines, but on a separate itinerary than my United flights. My question: as a US citizen, will I need a transit visa or any type of visa if I plan on leaving the airport for an overnight stay in a hotel?

    Thank you

  2. David W

    No, you dont. Just head to immigration and they’ll stamp your passport. You should be given a HK Customs form to fill out on the flight – just remember to hand that in at immigration.

    You can also take a ferry directly to Macau if that interests you – also no visa required.

  3. Rob in Miami

    DavidW is correct. No special visa. HK is part of a special district (separate from mainland China). It is super easy to navigate through the airport and the City. There is a train that can take you directly to the City. (Ive never used the ferry to/from airport.) After living there for one year, I prefer HK Island where there are many things to do- hikes, gardens, parks, tram to the top of The Peak, etc. Also, Pacific Place (by Swire) is a destination in itself. There is a restaurant at the Upper House with great views and an easy link to/from the Airport.

  4. Rob in Miami

    Yes, no special visa required as its a Special District (separate in ways from mainland China). (Macau is great as a past-Portuguese colony/ Casino destination.) The train, though, is super easy to take from HKG to City. After living there for 12 months, I prefer the Island which has parks, a tram to The Peak, hiking trails…. An easy go-to destination is Pacific Place- next to Botanical Garden and home to a batch of hotels. My favorite is Upper House. They have a restaurant with amazing views and incredible design. Since its linked via Swire and Cathay Pacific, the transit could not be any easier back and forth.

Sign in to help answer questions.