Questions and Answers

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!

Filter by:

AA Flagship First Check In LAX


Global Entry Conditional Approval

Can you help?

Chase BA 10% Discount – Credit to AAdvantage?


Daily Emails?


QR Lounge access transiting Doha from First to Business


Site Feedback

Hot topic, get involved

Transiting LHR on a BA First Class/Club Europe Ticket




How do I deal w extra seat reservation?


Password Change


Ask a Question

Everyone can read and comment, but you must login to post a new comment.

Answers (3)

Hong Kong to Taipei – Secondary Travel Document

Hong Kong to Taipei – Secondary Travel Document

  1. worldtravel1


    I know this isn’t exactly a Points related question, but everyone is so well traveled on this site so I thought I would ask my question here.

    If you have traveled between Hong Kong and Taipei as a U.S. Resident, please let me know your thoughts on the following:

    I am going to be in Hong Kong and plan on taking a side trip to Taipei. I attempted to book my ticket tonight on Cathay Pacific. After filling in my Passport Information, the Cathay Pacific website requires all US Residents to provide a Secondary Travel Document. The only option is “Visa.” I understand that the Taiwan Immigration requires an “Online Arrival Card” for all inbound Foreign Taiwan passengers. A Visa is not required to enter Taiwan as a U.S. resident as a tourist. I don’t think I can leave this blank.

    What about flying back to Hong Kong from Taipei? Is there a similar process?

    I am going to call Cathay Pacific in the morning but curious if anyone has flown between these two cities and booked a ticket on Cathay Pacific. Any insight is greatly appreciated.


  2. MarkS

    I flew it today and didn’t need any documentation. HKG-TPE CX 494. The only requirement is you must have proof of a departure ticket out of Taiwan. Sometimes they ask for it, sometimes they don’t. You fill in a standard immigration card given on the flight. Just be prepared for a wait as immigration was packed today at noon.

    Am flying back to HKG and no extra documentation was required. Hong Kong gives 90 day visa.

  3. David W

    That’s strange. Being a US Permanent Resident or Citizen shouldnt impact travel between HKG and TPE.

    The only thing I can think of is if this is part of a larger ticket involving the US where it can ask for the Green Card information, if you say that youre a US resident but not a citizen

Sign in to help answer questions.