Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Debating whether to status match Companion Pass to Alaska now or Oct 2016. Advice?
I’m fairly new to the game having started a new traveling job back in February of this year. Based out of San Jose (SJC and SFO home airports), traveling mostly all across Eastern US and Canada for work about twice every 3 months.
For leisure travel, I recently got an epicmix Tahoe Local Pass, so I’m trying to spend lots of weekends driving to Tahoe. When not in Tahoe, I want to try to fly as often as possible to Denver and SLC for snowboarding with my epicmix pass, and SEA to visit some friends.
With recent changes to AA, I’m thinking I would like to start earning/banking AS miles and I want to leverage my SW Companion Pass, earned through CC, for it. Now I’ve been reading recent reports of people only being matched to MVP Gold without proof that you earned the status through actual flying.
My original plan was to wait until October to leverage my SW companion pass for Alaska MVP Gold 75K. But now I’m wondering if I should try getting A-List on SW, either through a similar challenge to last January’s offer (3 RT) or by flying 25 segments by October, then trying to status match hoping that will be enough for them to grant 75K status.
The other option would be to take the MVP Gold now and start earning Alaska miles now. I have flights already booked starting on the 2nd of next year and could be earning the bonus miles from MVP gold and also I can book more flights with AS/AA instead of earning A list with SW.
Looking for some advice on what you think might be my best option here.
Thank you very much for your help! I really enjoy checking your blog every day.
Anyone out there that might help me lean one way or the other?
Alex–with the caveat that I am not very familiar with AS status matching policies, I will say that these programs change regularly. If you have the opportunity to match now, and you’re going to be traveling with them regularly going forward, why not take advantage now? Is there a compelling reason to wait?
Lots of extra bonuses for 75K vs Gold that I would love being able to take advantage of. I’m not sure I would fly enough to hit 75K status, though I think Gold should be in reach, so I thought it might be my best chance to experience it as well.
I agree with you that I have good reason to go ahead and match to Gold now to start earning bonuses on the flights I already have booked, but I didn’t want to solely trust my own opinion, being so new to this hobby.
I have never flown first class or business class of any type, so the appeal of getting complimentary upgrades is big for me. Not sure if it is big enough to wait it out till October to cross my fingers for a 75K match, which is why I turned here to hear some other opinions besides my own.
Thanks for your input Gaurav!