Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Avis Preferred Plus – Website Status Problems
logged in to Avis today and found that my Avis Preferred Plus status was not showing correctly. The points seemed fine though getting details on the points awarded is impossible without a call, but that’s another issue. The issue was that the status on the home page showed that I had points and that “You’re on your way to more free upgrades and earning even faster accelerated points as an preferred plus Member.” The bar below this text showed to be about 20% full which would be right based on the 5 rentals this year. Below the bar is a statement that says “You are 20 rentals or $ 6774.25 away” and a “Learn More” button below that. Clicking the “Learn More” button brings up a popover window showing the APP benefits and includes the text “Avis Preferred Plus is yours after completing 20 rentals or spending over $ 6774.25 in a calendar year.” These amounts match perfectly to the amounts that I supposedly still need this “calendar year” yet I’ve already completed 5 rentals, which was confirmed in my account status and by customer service. And yes, I have opted IN for Avis Preferred Points.
Now there are so many issues with this:
1) The “See Benefits” link in my Avis profile says “Avis Preferred Plus is yours after completing 12 rentals or spending over $5,000 in a calendar year.” contrary to what the “Learn More” button information provided but matches the Avis Preferred Plus benefits page.
2) Customer service told me that I am earning 1.5 points per dollar (or 50% bonues), which is the top tier.
3) My Avis profile says “You are earning 25% more points.” contrary to customer service and the program benefits document.
4) I called the number in the email from Avis I received (that’s what triggered all this) and spent the next 20 minutes getting bounced around and told to call yet another number. Six different customer service people and four 800 numbers later I got someone that wanted to even try to fix the problem.
5) The last customer service person told me that they recently changed the way points are earned and they now they provide a minimum of 100 points.
The only silver lining is that they credited my account an extra 500 points. Nobody said that would happen but it showed up anyway.
Not sure if anyone else can replicate this on their own account. If you can, you should call the Preferred desk (866-842-5552 option 3, the last of the numbers I called) and see if you can also get the extra points.