Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Planning around a AA award flight HKG – JFK on CX First
I am thinking of using AA miles to go from HKG to JFK om CX First in March, before the AAdvantage changes get effective.
I do have some questions though.
1) I will start in FRA and would fly to BKK on QR as that is the closest I can get using another mileage program.
If I book BKK – HKG – JFK with AA miles, does this count as one award flight? Or is it one intra asia award flight and one asia to USA award flight?
2) How short term can I make changes to the mentioned ticket. My arrival in BKK is scheduled at 6:55 am. When I already know in Doha that the flight will be late, can I still call AA to make changes for the flight out of BKK or even the entire trip (BKK-HKG-JFK)? Of course there must be award seats available.
Can you even make changes once you missed the flight BKK-HKG?
3) Would you rather stay one night in Hong Kong with all the hassle (immigration, to the Hotel and back to the Airport) to avoid any problems with the connection?
I rather prefer it to just fly it straight through, as this trip would be about the lounge and flying experience, not the cities.
4)Do you guys have any suggestions for JFK to Europe using AA miles?
[USER=1116]@Thenewonw[/USER] This is a good place to start to get a handle on AA routing rules:
Since BKK and HKG are both in Asia 2, you can book BKK-HKG-JFK on one ticket depending on availability.
2. [USER=7]@Tiffany[/USER] can correct me if I’m wrong but I think the ticket gets transferred to the operating carrier about 24 hrs before departure so at that point you’d probably have to check with the operating carrier. Given that both are One World partners you are protected because of the OW policy that covers people on different tickets even if there are delays or misconnects.
3. As long as you have a reasonable amount of time to transfer you should be fine.
4. What kind of suggestions are you looking for? You’d look primarily at OW partners Finnair, AirBerlin, BA, and Iberia along with AA to book an award.
With regards to staying one night in HKG, AA doesn’t allow stopovers for partner redemptions, so if your flight from HKG-JFK departs more than 24 hours after your flight from BKK-HKG arrives, you would have to book each leg as a separate award.