Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Pay to Upgrade on SQ or wait 2 weeks?
I need 85k KrisFlyer miles to upgrade 2 economy seats from HKD to SFO at the end of December. Presently sitting on about 77k Ultimate Rewards points.
If I wanted to upgrade today, I’d have to pay $320 for the additional KrisFlyer miles at $40 per 1k (I just opened my SPG account and can’t buy points with it for 14 days).
If we wait until both of our Chase statement periods close 2 weeks from now, we will have enough points to cover the upgrade. Considering the lag in the transfer, would you pay the $320 now or wait the 2 weeks? I see at least 6 business class award seats available on the flight at the moment.
To add to the fun, current economy seat assignments are terrible – two middle seats, one row behind the other.
Another way to ask the question — what are the chances that there are 2 award seats available if we wait 2 weeks? I know it’s not an exact science.
@ NSane — Welcome!
Odds are probably good that space will still be there, but that’s also not [I]that[/I] many points to purchase. I think it comes down to your finances, really.