Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Keep the AA points and fly KAL or Go Cathay?
So I have an upcoming flight to Hanoi in January on Cathay F. I recently found out I can leave eariler and get a bit more time on my trip. I have the Korean Air miles to fly F to Hanoi as well. I can’t seem to find earlier availability for Cathay F class and I don’t mind paying the fee to re-deposit the points into my account. Should I chance it and wait till I get 2 weeks or so out, or do I change plans and book the flight on Korean and re-deposit the points? I know the KAL F product is inferior but the flexibility is convenient.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate any opinions on this.
Do you have another way to dump/use your AA points before the devaluation coming next year?
Hey thanks for the reply. I think I do. I would be figuring that out when I get back from my trip.
[USER=1191]@TravelFresh97[/USER] I think what [USER=268]@No Name[/USER] is saying is that you need to weigh the trade off between maximizing the value of your AA miles before they become worth a little less next year and the convenience offered by KE. Personally, as much as I enjoy the travel time, I also want to maximize my time at a destination I am going to. So if flying KE can get you there significantly earlier I’d say go for it. I believe Korean does not charge for cancellations or changes so I would keep your CX flights active until 21 days before departure (that’s when the close in fees kick in I think). One of two things might happen–a schedule change that allows for a free award cancellation or space opening up on your preferred route and you can change for no fee. If neither works out you can cancel and pay redeposit (latter is unlikely given that CX seems to be holding seats longer before releasing).
The advice from [USER=79]@Gaurav[/USER] sounds good. I would take it, don’t have the time to write all out the way he did.
[USER=79]@Gaurav[/USER] and [USER=268]@No Name[/USER]
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I really appreciate the input. [USER=79]@Gaurav[/USER], thanks that seems exactly what I needed to read. I also think I can squeeze the change fee from AA under my Plat Card reimbursement. Anyway I think I will go with the KAL book and wait and see. Thanks again! Happy Holidays!