There’s a great new welcome bonus on the Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®. The card is offering a welcome bonus of up to 70,000 miles, broken down as follows:
- 60,000 miles after spending $1,000 within 90 days
- A further 10,000 bonus miles after a purchase is made on an employee card
The card has a $99 annual fee, which isn’t waived for the first year, and there’s no cost to add more cards for employees.
Hawaiian Business Mastercard perks
The card offers some potentially useful perks, though I’m guessing for most people these won’t be worthwhile. These include:
- 3x miles on Hawaiian Airlines purchases, and 2x miles on gas, dining, and office supply purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $50,000-99,000 on the card in a cardmember year, and 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $100,000+ on the card in a cardmember year
- A one-time 50% discount on a published full coach roundtrip fare for a companion, with taxes and fees not included; this is good for 13 months from account opening, and is valid between Hawaii and the rest of North America
Frankly there aren’t really any benefits there I consider to be especially compelling. There are cards offering better bonus categories, and even when you factor in the annual bonuses for spending, there are better cards for everyday spending.
Redeeming Hawaiian Airlines miles
There are some other interesting redemption opportunities, though. Hawaiian Airlines has some airline partners, including Japan Airlines, JetBlue, Korean Air, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia. I wouldn’t say any of the redemption opportunities are industry leading, but at least there are some.
There is even a hotel opportunity that some might find worthwhile. You can convert Hawaiian miles into Hilton points at a 1:1.5 ratio. I wouldn’t consider that to be especially good, though it’s worth being aware of.
The Hawaiian Business Mastercard is offering one of the best bonuses I recall seeing on the card. 70K miles sounds like a lot — and is — but I personally don’t value HawaiianMiles that much.
For example, personally I value the welcome bonuses on the Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card and Alaska Airlines Visa® Business Credit Card more, as they each offer 40,000 Alaska miles plus a companion ticket after spending $1,000 within 90 days. There are so many great uses of Alaska miles.
Anyone plan on picking up the Hawaiian Business Card with this bonus?
(Tip of the hat to Frequent Miler)