Update: This offer for American Express® Gold Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
On the most basic level, the card comes with an anniversary free night certificate every year valid at a Category 1-4 property, which should more than cover the annual fee. But the card also offers great rewards for spending, including elite qualifying nights and an additional free night certificate.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card can earn you Globalist status
One other great reason to get The World of Hyatt Credit Card is that they frequently have cardmember promotions. Sometimes these promotions include additional ways to earn or redeem World of Hyatt points, while other times they just have general bonuses for retail purchases. The latest such promotion has just been announced, and is publicly available.
Earn up to $50 in statement credits for select purchases
Those with a Hyatt Credit Card (either the new or old version of the card) can earn up to $50 in statement credits:
- Earn a $25 statement credit for spending $500 across multiple purchases on telecomm (internet, phone, cable services), shipping, movie theaters, and grocery stores in the U.S., between November 1 and November 30, 2018
- Earn a second $25 statement credit for the same amount of spend in the same categories between December 1 and December 31, 2018
Cardmembers must register for the promotion between October 29 and November 30, 2018. You can earn a maximum of two statement credits over two months, and the statement credit should appear on an eligible account within six to eight weeks of meeting the spend threshold.
Is this promotion worth it?
A $25 statement credit on $500 of spend is the equivalent of 5% cash back, which is decent. That’s in addition to the World of Hyatt points you usually earn (one point per dollar), plus that spend counting towards some of the threshold bonuses offered by the new World of Hyatt Card.
While I think this is a decent offer, personally I won’t be taking advantage of this. Why?
- I’d rather put my telecomm spend on the Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card, which offers 5x points in those categories, and which I value at a return of 8.5%
- I’d rather put my grocery store spend on The American Express® Gold Card, which offers 4x Membership Rewards points on the first $25,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets annually, which I value at a return of 6.8%
- I don’t spend enough on shipping and movie theaters to reach that bonus otherwise
This is a solid promotion for anyone who has the card and is trying to put spend on it to reach one of the threshold bonuses. However. there are other cards that offer 4-5x points in many of these categories, and I value those returns more.
I’d say it’s worth putting spend on the card with this if you’re trying to reach a spend threshold (either to earn extra elite qualifying nights, an anniversary free night certificate, etc.), but otherwise it doesn’t seem worth the effort, at least for me, given my card portfolio.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this Hyatt Credit Card promotion?