Update: This offer for the British Airways Visa Signature® Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
For a limited time, the British Airways Visa Signature® Card is offering an increased sign-up bonus, allowing you to earn up to 100,000 bonus Avios. The bonus can be earned after the following spend thresholds:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- 25,000 additional bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening
- 25,000 additional bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening
The sign-up bonus on this card isn’t available to those who currently have the card, as well as previous cardmembers who received a new cardmember bonus for the credit card within the last 24 months.
I suspect that means a lot of us are eligible for the bonus, since I know many of us got this card almost a decade ago, when it was first introduced in the US. I haven’t had the card in years, but plan on picking it up this time around.
Furthermore, this card isn’t subjected to Chase’s 5/24 rule, so you’re eligible for the bonus on this card even if you’ve opened more than five accounts in the past 24 months.
The card has a $95 annual fee, which isn’t waived the first year.
In my opinion it could make sense to get the British Airways Visa Signature® Card even if you weren’t planning on completing $20,000 of spend on the card in the first year. That’s because the 50,000 Avios bonus is as big as it usually gets, so you’re not going to get a bigger bonus at that threshold.
But if you are a big credit card spender, it could make a lot of sense to put additional spend on the card, in my opinion. Once you’ve earned the first 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 within three months, you earn:
- 25,000 bonus Avios for the next $7,000 you spend (which is ~3.6 bonus Avios per dollar spent, in addition to the normal Avios per dollar spent)
- 25,000 bonus Avios for the $10,000 you spend (which is 2.5 bonus Avios per dollar spent, in addition to the normal Avios per dollar spent)
That’s a really solid return, in my opinion across the board. Also keep in mind that the card offers a Travel Together Ticket for any calendar year in which you spend $30,000 on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card, so at that point you’re only $10,000 from reaching that threshold. This certificate can be a great deal, though keep in mind you have to pay British Airways’ hefty carrier-imposed surcharges for both passengers if you redeem this.
I know a lot of us had this card almost a decade ago, and those people should be eligible for the card again. The sign-up bonus on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card is great, regardless of whether you’re going for the 50,000 Avios upon completing minimum spend, or plan to spend all the way to 100,000 bonus Avios, which represents a good deal for big spenders as well.
Best of all, this card isn’t restricted by Chase’s 5/24 rule, which should open up the card to a lot more people.