Updated: 3 days ago
Alaska Airlines is a small airline when compared to the big three carriers in the US, but their frequent flyer program Mileage Plan is beloved by many for the great perks and benefits, including the popular Alaska airlines credit cards.
Alaska Airlines has a strong presence on the West Coast. Their route network connects cities across the west with key markets on the East Coast, Hawaii, and of course Alaska. They partner with a number of different carriers around the world, like Japan Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas. They also partner with smaller carriers such as Hainan Airlines and Fiji Airways. This means you have a number of unique redemption opportunities for Alaska Airlines miles, even if you don’t live in an Alaska-served city. Best of all, between the Alaska Airlines credit cards and mileage sales, it’s easy for anyone to earn Alaska miles.
Use Alaska Airlines miles for JAL first class!
Best Alaska Airlines Credit Card Offers of July 2020
While the bonuses on the Alaska Airlines credit cards might not sound lucrative compared to some other airline credit cards, those milles can take you far. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan has very reasonable redemption rates. If you were to get both cards and meet the minimum spend requirements, a business or first class ticket would be within reach!
There are two Alaska Airlines credit cards offered by Bank of America: a personal version and a business version. Both have attractive initial bonuses, and you can apply for both cards. Here are the best Alaska Airlines credit card offers available today:
The companion fare offer alone makes this card a no-brainer, not to mention the bonus 40,000 Alaska miles which are very valuable due to their current award chart. Current Offer Current Offer
• Get 40,000 bonus miles plus Alaska's Famous Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from just $22) with this offer. To qualify, make purchases of $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of opening your account.
• Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22) every year! That's right, EACH YEAR on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
• Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
• Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
• NEW! 50% off Alaska Lounge day passes and 20% back on inflight food, beverage and Wi-Fi purchases when you pay with your card.
• Get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem miles for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Alaska Airline Hotels.
• Earn unlimited miles and travel with no blackout dates and no international transaction fees.
• Enjoy many money saving benefits, 800+ destinations, more than a dozen global airline partners and a low annual fee of $50 for the company and $25 per card.
• Limited Time Offer!
• Get a $100 statement credit, 40,000 bonus miles and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $2,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
• Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
• Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year! EACH YEAR on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
• Earn unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases and unlimited 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases. And, your miles don't expire on active accounts.
• Enjoy 20% back on all Alaska Airlines inflight purchases and 50% off day passes at the Alaska Lounge when you pay with your new card.
• Redeem miles with no blackout dates on any of Alaska's 1,200 daily flights or choose from over 800+ destinations with more than a dozen global airline partners. Plus, get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem miles for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Alaska Airlines Hotels.
• Plus, no foreign transaction fees and a low $75 annual fee.
The companion fare offer alone makes this card a no-brainer, not to mention the bonus 40,000 Alaska miles which are very valuable due to their current award chart.
How To Earn The Most Alaska Miles
There are a number of different ways to earn Alaska Airlines miles beyond credit card offers. Alaska offers sales on miles throughout the year where you can buy miles. If you’re saving for a particular redemption, it can make sense to buy miles to get you there faster, or to buy enough miles to book the award outright.
You can also earn Alaska miles the traditional way, by flying! Alaska has many partners, and you can credit any of those flights to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan.
Marriott Bonvoy points can also be converted to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles. You can earn Marriott points through staying at Marriott hotels or their co-branded credit cards. Depending on which Marriott Bonvoy card you choose, you could earn up to:
- 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 3x points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
No one card offers all of these earnings rates, but the portfolio means it’s easy to choose a card that will allow you to earn the most on the purchases you’re already making. So, if you’re interested in diversifying your options a bit and giving yourself more options to earn Alaska miles quickly, you’ll want to check out these cards and their earning structures:
Marriott points are very valuable as they can be used for hotels and/or airline transfers. This is a great way of earning miles with programs that you otherwise wouldn't be able to earn via credit card spend, such as Japan Airlines.
• Earn 50,000 Welcome Bonus Marriott Bonvoy™ points after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership. Offer subject to change at any time.
• Receive an Annual Free Night Award automatically each year after your anniversary
• Enjoy an automatic upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status when you reach $30,000 in purchases on your Card each year
• Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year with your Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card. These can be used towards attaining the next level of Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
• You can earn 3 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible gas, dining and travel
• Earn 5 points for every $1 in Card purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties. Earn 2 points for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card everywhere else
• Make the most of a suite of business management tools that give you more control over your business anytime and anywhere
• Redeem points for free nights with no blackout dates at over 7,000 of some of the world's most extraordinary hotels and resorts around the globe. Use your points for flights on some of the world's leading airlines
• American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
As no-fee Marriott co-brand card, with no foreign transactions, this card is a nice alternative if you want to keep your Marriott points alive without having to worry about annual fees. The 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year qualifies you for Silver Elite status, and helps you achieve a higher level of status with Marriott.
Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after spending $1,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
Earn 3X points for every $1 spent at 7,000+ hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™ and 2X points on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains).
Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
From May 1 through July 31, 2020 you'll earn 6x Bonvoy points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $7,500 in eligible purchases.
• Earn 6x points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott hotels
• Earn 3x points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
• Earn 2x points on all other eligible purchases
• Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott hotels
• Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary valid for redemption for a single night up to 50,000 points.
• Complimentary Gold Elite Status
The way I view it, this is a card that’s worth holding onto for the anniversary free night certificate, valid at a hotel that retails for up to 35,000 Marriott points per night. That benefit alone should more than justify the annual fee.
Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
Earn 6X points for every $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™ and 2X points on all other purchases.
This card is worth keeping for Anniversary free night certificate, plus the 15 nights towards elite status annually. And the 6x points per dollar for Marriott stays certainly doesn't hurt!
Earn 75,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
Alaska Airlines Credit Card Benefits
The Alaska Airlines credit cards offer a number of unique benefits. Even if you only fly Alaska once or twice a year, it can make sense to pick up either the personal or business version of the card (or both!), in order to take avantage of perks like:
- Famous Companion Fare — Alaska Airlines credit cards also offer a unique companion fare. This lets a companion join you on a round trip Alaska itinerary in economy for just $121. That’s good for anywhere Alaska flies. You can fly from all the way from Boston to Hawaii together, and the second passenger’s fare is just $121!
- Free checked bags on Alaska — Your first bag (and those of up to six guests) can be checked for no fee on Alaska flights
In-Flight Savings — The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card and The Alaska Airlines Visa® Business Cardgives you a 20% rebate, in the form of a statement credit, for purchases of food, beverages, and Wi-Fi onboard Alaska and Alaska operated flights, as long as you use your Alaska Airlines credit card as your method of payment.
- Discounted lounge access — A new benefit of the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card and The Alaska Airlines Visa® Business Card is a 50% off day passes to the Alaska lounge. There’s no limit to the number of times you can use this perk, and while we prefer other cards for lounge access in general, this could come in handy.
- No foreign transaction fees — We’d recommend other cards for international travel, but if you happen to use your Alaska card overseas, you won’t pay an extra fee.
These are some of the most valuable and underrated airline credit cards out there. The best Alaska Airlines credit card for your situation will likely come down to whether or not you are interested in a small business card (keep in mind that even sole proprietors can apply for business credit cards), but with the big welcome bonuses, reasonable annual fee, and annual companion certificate, you really can’t go wrong either way!