Update: These offers for The World of Hyatt Credit Card, the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business have expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
I have a lot of credit cards — 24 at this point, to be exact — and for the most part I’m really happy with my credit card portfolio.
The five credit cards I’ve recently picked up
For a while there were a lot of credit cards that I really wanted, though since October I’ve picked up five cards, all of which I’ve had my eye on for quite a while. Since then I’ve applied for:
- The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card, which has a $95 annual fee, a welcome bonus of up to 80K points, offers 3x points in select categories, and has an excellent cell phone protection plan
- The Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card, which has no annual fee, a welcome bonus of up to 50K points, and offers 1.5x points on all purchases
- The World of Hyatt Credit Card, which has a $95 annual fee, a welcome bonus of up to 60K points, offers five nights towards status annually just for having the card, and much more
- The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business, which has a $95 annual fee (waived the first year), a welcome bonus of up to 200K Spark miles, and offers 2x Spark miles per dollar spent
- The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, which has a $450 annual fee, a welcome bonus of up to 150K points, and offers Diamond status, an annual weekend night reward, a $250 airline fee credit every calendar year, and a $250 Hilton resort credit every cardmember year
The one card I still want
Like I said, at this point I’m really happy with the cards I have, though it got me thinking what other cards I’d like to get. Much to my surprise, I realized that I think I just about have all of the cards I could possibly want… with the exception of one.
The one card I don’t have but wish I could get is the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card.
This is a card that was introduced earlier in the year. I actually have the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, which is no longer open to new applicants as of the beginning of the year.
While I could upgrade from the old card to the new card, you can actually have both cards, and there are benefits to doing so.
The old card that I have offers an anniversary free night certificate valid at any IHG hotel retailing for up to 40,000 points per night and a 10% refund on redeemed points, for a total of up to 100,000 refunded points per year.
The reason I want the $89 annual fee IHG Rewards Premier Card is because of how complementary the benefits are. This card offers:
- An anniversary free night certificate valid at any IHG hotel retailing for up to 40,000 points per night
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum status for as long as you have the card
- A fourth night free on award redemptions, which can be used an unlimited number of times
- A TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry fee credit once every four years
So by having both cards there are some great benefits I could stack. I could get two anniversary free night certificates every year, and I could also stack the 10% refund on redeemed points with the fourth night free on award redemptions.
In other words, if I made a four night booking for 25,000 points per night, I’d end up paying just 67,500 points (the fourth night would be free, and then I’d get 10% of the 75,000 points that I redeem back). That’s an excellent value.
The reason I haven’t been able to get this card is because the IHG Rewards Premier Card is now subjected to the 5/24 limit, and I’m over that at the moment. So it’s a card I could get eventually, but not for now.
I guess since there aren’t too many cards I’m looking to apply for nowadays I could just wait until I get back under 5/24, though that’s going to be a while.
What credit cards are on your radar for 2019?