Update: This offer for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
On August 23 the SPG Luxury Card was introduced, which is the new premium credit card with a $450 annual fee.
The card offers the following perks:
- A $300 annual SPG and Marriott statement credit; each year you’ll get a $300 credit that will be applied when you spend that amount at a Marriott or SPG hotel
- An anniversary free night award that can be redeemed at a property costing up to 50,000 points per night
- Platinum Elite status when you spend $75,000 on the card in a calendar year
- Complimentary Gold Elite status for as long as you have the card
- Starting in 2019 you earn 15 elite qualifying nights per year just for having the card (you can receive this benefit for at most one card)
- A Priority Pass Select membership that allows you to take up to two guests into eligible lounges
- A TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry fee credit once every four years
- Premium internet access when staying at Marriott and SPG hotels
- Complimentary Boingo wifi on up to four devices at over a million hotspots around the world
As I explained, I think the card is reasonably rewarding, though I don’t think it’s for everyone. The welcome bonus isn’t that huge (the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express has a similar welcome bonus, and the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year), though what I do find interesting is that many people are receiving upgrade offers on their existing Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, and in some cases those upgrade offers are as big as the standard welcome bonus.
Anyway, I’ve just received word from American Express that apparently demand for this card has been higher than expected, and as a result members should expect a delay in receiving their SPG Luxury Card. Here’s Amex’s statement:
Due to high demand for the new Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card, we are currently experiencing delays in delivering the new Luxury Card design to upgraded Card Members and some new Card Members. These Card Members can expect to receive their new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card in the mail by the end of October.
In the meantime:
- Impacted new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card Members can expect to receive an interim Card design in the mail within 10 days of being approved for the Card. These interim Card designs will provide access to all of the great benefits and rewards of the new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card. Card Members can use these cards immediately online or at point of sale. If eligible for a Welcome Bonus, any eligible purchases made on this Card will count toward the Welcome Bonus spend threshold.
- Current Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Card Members who upgraded to the new Luxury Card can continue to use their current Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Cards, which will provide access to all of the great benefits and rewards of the new Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Card. Card Members can use these cards immediately online or at point of sale. If eligible for an upgrade bonus offer, any eligible purchases made on the current Card from the time of upgrade will count toward the bonus spend threshold.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
I wasn’t aware that the card was made of any sort of special material, but I guess it is, or else this wouldn’t be an issue. But it also makes me wonder what kind of material it’s even made of, because a delay of nearly two months is significant.
So if you upgraded your card from the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, the good news is that you can keep using your existing card and any eligible spend will count towards an upgrade offer. If you applied for a new card, you can expect a temporary card within 10 days of applying, and then the new card by late October.
Has anyone who applied for the SPG Luxury Card received their card in the mail yet?