Update: This offer for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® is expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve Card became available last week, and I’ve written about it extensively. The card has a big 100,000 point sign-up bonus upon completing minimum spend, though the card is so much more than that.
A couple of days ago I wrote a post speculating how long the 100,000 point bonus would be around. My guess was that it would be around for somewhere between two and five months, and that they’d give notice of any change in the offer. That was speculation on my part without any inside information.
While I’m not assuming the offer is dead, it is interesting to note that the Chase Sapphire Reserve application is no longer working. While the landing page is still there, when you click on the application link you get the following message:
Now, credit card websites have glitches all the time, so what does that mean for this offer?
- Interestingly only the Chase Sapphire Reserve seems to have this message for applications, and not other Chase cards
- Best I can tell, all links directing to the card have the same message
- I imagine this card so far has been popular even beyond Chase’s wildest dreams, so perhaps they’ve exhausted their budget much faster than they were expecting
- Perhaps they’re just so backed up on applications that they’re temporarily not taking any more, until they can get through the current backlog
- Perhaps there’s an aspect of the application or card details they’re needing to change, so they temporarily took down the application
- Perhaps it’s just a temporary tech glitch
The point of this post is to confirm that the application is indeed down (since several people have asked me), and we don’t yet know why that is. My speculation is that it’s just some sort of glitch, as I imagine Chase executives put a lot of thought into this card before launching it. Or who knows, maybe it has been exponentially more popular than they were expecting, and they’re having to reconsider. Only time well!
Once I know more I’ll be sure to update this post with information.
What do you think is going on with the application?