LifeMiles is one of my favorite frequent flyer programs, given that they frequently sell miles at a discount. LifeMiles are useful for Star Alliance premium cabin redemptions, and the program doesn’t impose fuel surcharges on any redemptions. You can find their Star Alliance redemption rates here.
In 2016, LifeMiles even introduced their own co-branded credit card in the US, issued by Puerto Rico’s Banco Popular. There are two versions of the credit card, which come with different benefits.
- Has a $149 annual fee
- Ordinarily offers a welcome bonus of 40,000 bonus miles after first use
- Earns 3x miles per dollar spent on Avianca purchases, 2x miles per dollar spent at gas stations and grocery stores, and 1x miles on all other purchases
- Has no foreign transaction fees
Meanwhile the Avianca Vida Visa® Card:
- Has a $59 annual fee
- Ordinarily has a welcome bonus of 20,000 bonus miles after first use
- Earns 2x miles per dollar spent on Avianca purchases, and 1x miles on all other purchases
Do keep in mind that Avianca LifeMiles is transfer partners with both Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou, so generally speaking if you want to earn LifeMiles through credit card spend there are other cards I’d prioritize.