Update: This offer for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In late February, Chase introduced a new best-ever welcome bonus on the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. This is IHG’s newest credit card, which was introduced last April.
If you’ve been considering this card but haven’t yet applied, note that the increased offer is expected to be pulled tomorrow, May 1, 2019, so today is your last full day to apply.
To recap, here’s what you need to know about the card:
IHG Premier Card welcome bonus
The IHG Premier Card has a welcome bonus of up to 120,000 IHG Rewards Club points. You earn:
- 80,000 IHG Rewards Club points after spending $2,000 within the first three months
- An additional 40,000 IHG Rewards Club points after spending $5,000 within the first six months (that’s an incremental $3,000 of spend)
As a point of comparison, the previous welcome bonus was for 80,000 points, and the best bonus we’ve seen on the card prior to that has been for 100,000 points.
IHG Premier Card annual fee
The IHG Premier Card has an $89 annual fee, which isn’t waived for the first year.
IHG Premier Card return on spend
The IHG Premier Card has the following rewards structure:
- 10x points per dollar spent at participating IHG hotels
- 2x points per dollar spent on purchased at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- 1x points per dollar spent on all other purchases
I value IHG points at ~0.5 cents each, so to me the return on IHG spending is pretty good, at around 5%. However, the return on spending in the other categories is significantly less compelling, and there are better cards for everyday spending.
You can earn 10x points for stays at IHG hotels
IHG Premier Card perks
- An anniversary free night certificate on your account anniversary every year, valid at any property that retails for up to 40,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night
- A fourth night free on award bookings; when you redeem points for a consecutive four-night stay, you only have to redeem points for the cost of the first three nights
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum status for as long as you have the card
- A TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry fee credit every four years
- 20% off when you purchase IHG Rewards Club points (this doesn’t apply during promotions, so this is of limited use)
As far as I’m concerned the anniversary free night award is worth more than $89, so that alone justifies the annual fee on the card. Add in the Platinum status and fourth night free on award stays that’s offered by the card, and I’d say this is very worthwhile.
Use your free night award at the InterContinental Bangkok
IHG Premier Card eligibility
First of all, this card is subjected to the 5/24 rule, so don’t expect to be approved if you’ve opened five or more new card accounts in the past 24 months (some business cards are excluded from this total).
Furthermore, this card is not available to those who are current cardmembers of this card, or previous cardmembers who have received a new cardmember bonus on the card within the past 24 months.
However, you are eligible for this card if you have the old version of the IHG Card, which I know many of us have. For that matter, being able to have both is a great option, since you can stack the fourth night free on award redemptions offer by this card, with the 10% back on award redemptions offered by the other card.
Get a fourth night free at the InterContinental Shanghai Wonderland
The welcome bonus of up to 120K points on the IHG Premier Card is an excellent offer that’s better than the previous 80K and 100K offers we’ve seen on the card. This is an all-around generous card, and if you’ve been considering picking up this card, you’ll want to do so today.
Between the anniversary free night award, the IHG Platinum status, and the fourth night free on award redemptions, there’s a lot of value to be had.
Does anyone plan on picking up the IHG Premier Card with a 120K bonus?