Update: These offers for the Citi Premier℠ Card and the Citi Prestige® Card have expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
The Citi Premier℠ Card 60,000 point sign-up bonus will be changing on Thursday, January 28, 2016. We don’t know what the new offer will be, though my guess is that it’s going down. Below is some background, along with what I know so far.
The value of Citi ThankYou points
Since last April, Citi has upped their game when it comes to consumer credit cards, and in particular their cards which accrue Citi ThankYou points. Most lucrative have been the Citi Premier℠ Card and Citi Prestige® Card:
- Citi Premier℠ Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within three months of account opening
- $95 annual fee, waived the first year
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within three months of account opening
- $450 annual fee (though tons of perks which help offset it)
Why the Citi Prestige Card has been especially awesome
The Citi Prestige® Card is a fantastic premium card, intended to compete with the likes of The Platinum Card® from American Express. The value proposition is fantastic, as it offers so many perks which help offset the annual fee, including:
- A $250 annual airline credit
- A fourth night free hotel benefit
- The most comprehensive Priority Pass membership offered by any card
- A $100 Global Entry fee credit
I used the Citi Prestige Card fourth night free offer at the St. Regis Bali
The value of the Citi Premier℠ Card
The more mid-range card is the Citi Premier℠ Card, which is intended to compete with the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. Not only does the card have an awesome 50,000 point sign-up bonus, but it also has one of the most rewarding points structures of any card, offering the following:
- 3x points on travel
- 3x points on gas
- 2x points on dining out and entertainment
- 1x point on all other purchases
For my personal spend patterns, the Citi Premier℠ Card offers the most lucrative category bonuses of any card out there. A vast majority of my credit card spend is for travel and dining purchases, so earning 2-3x points for those purchases is awesome.
While it’s not a huge expense for me, earning triple points on gas is also awesome.
What can you do with 60,000 ThankYou points?
If you apply for the Citi Premier℠ Card and earn the sign-up bonus, what can those points be used for?
- You can transfer Citi ThankYou points to any of the program’s transfer partners, including Air France FlyingBlue, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, etc.
- You can redeem ThankYou points earned through this card for 1.25 cents each towards the cost of a hotel, car rental, cruise, or flight
Redeem Citi ThankYou points for Singapore Airlines Suites Class
Can you apply for both the Citi Prestige and Citi Premier Card?
Absolutely! You can be approved for both the Citi Premier and Citi Prestige Card and earn the sign-up bonus on both cards, for a total of 100,000+ points.
Just keep Citi’s policy in mind when it comes to applying for new cards:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
As long as you wait at least eight days between applications, you should be able to get approved for both cards. I have both cards, and consider them to both be worthwhile. I’d generally recommend applying fro the Citi Premier℠ Card first and then applying for the Citi Prestige® Card, given that an end date is in sight for the current Citi Premier offer.
The Citi Premier℠ Card is one of the most rewarding cards out there for everyday spend. Earning triple points on all travel and gas purchases, plus double points on dining and entertainment, is pretty tough to beat.
The 60,000 ThankYou point sign-up bonus is awesome as well, especially in conjunction with the Citi Prestige® Card. If you get the sign-up bonus on both cards, those 100,000+ points can be redeemed for $1,200+ worth of airfare.
So if you’ve been eying the Citi Premier℠ Card, now is the time to apply — you have a bit over a week left to do so!