Update: This offer for the British Airways Visa Signature® Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
A popular increased sign-up bonus has returned on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card. This is a card I have and one that I think offers a great bonus that’s worth taking advantage of. In general there are a few things that make this card interesting for many:
- The card isn’t subjected to the 5/24 rule
- The card has a great sign-up bonus that incentivizes incremental spend, and is potentially rewarding for spend long term, given the companion ticket it offers
- The welcome bonus is available to those who don’t currently have the card and also haven’t received a new cardmember bonus in the past 24 months, so many people should be eligible for the offer
The British Airways Visa Card currently has a sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Avios, though there are significant spend thresholds involved:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- 25,000 additional bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening
- 25,000 additional bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening
The card has a $95 annual fee, which isn’t waived the first year.
In my opinion, it could make sense to get the British Airways Visa Card even if you weren’t planning on completing $20,000 of spend on the card in the first year. That’s because the 50,000 Avios bonus is as big as the offer usually gets for $3,000 of spend, so you’re not going to get a bigger bonus at that threshold — earning 50,000 Avios for $3,000 of spend is a great return.
But if you are a big credit card spender, it could make a lot of sense to put additional spend on the card, in my opinion. Once you’ve earned the first 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 within three months, you earn:
- 25,000 bonus Avios for the next $7,000 you spend (which is a total of ~4.6 Avios per incremental dollar of spend)
- 25,000 bonus Avios for the $10,000 you spend (which is 3.5 Avios per incremental dollar of spend)
That’s a really solid return across the board, in my opinion. Also keep in mind that the card offers a Travel Together Ticket for any calendar year in which you spend $30,000 on the British Airways Visa Card, so at that point, you’re only $10,000 from reaching that threshold. This certificate can be a great deal, though keep in mind you have to pay British Airways’ hefty carrier-imposed surcharges for both passengers if you redeem this.
I know a lot of people had this card almost a decade ago, so many people may not realize that they’re eligible to be approved for this card again. The sign-up bonus on the British Airways Visa Card is great, regardless of whether you’re going for the 50,000 Avios upon completing minimum spend, or plan to spend all the way to 100,000 bonus Avios, which represents a good deal for big spenders as well.