Last week we learned about major changes being made to the Amex Personal Platinum Card.
Changes coming to the Amex Personal Platinum Card
These changes kick in as of March 30, 2017, and include the following:
- 5x points on prepaid hotel stays booked through amextravel.com
- The ability to add Gold Card authorized users at no additional cost
- $200 in Uber credits annually (in increments of $15 per month, plus an additional $20 in December)
- The Priority Pass benefit with the card will offer guesting privileges, which it hasn’t in the past
- A new metal card design
- An annual fee increase from $450 to $550
Personally, I won’t get value out of most of these benefits, so the way I see it, the annual fee is increasing by $100 in exchange for $200 worth of Uber credits. Personally, I think that’s more than worthwhile, so this change doesn’t negatively impact whether or not I’ll hold onto the card.
Amex Business Platinum Card changes are coming too
View from the Wing notes that the Amex Business Platinum Card will be getting new benefits as of March 30, 2017, as well:
Beginning March 30, 2017, Business Platinum Card Members will get 5X Membership Rewards Points on flights and prepaid hotels at amextravel.com.
Business Platinum Card Members also get access to the recently announced new Global Dining Collection, as well as the expanded Global Lounge Collection and the Global By Invitation Only Events.
So what we know for sure is that:
- The Amex Business Platinum Card will offer 5x points on airfare purchased through amextravel.com
- Much like the personal card, the Amex Business Platinum Card’s Priority Pass membership will also allow you to take two guests into lounges at no extra cost
- The annual fee on the Amex Business Platinum Card won’t be going up — it will stay at $450. As of February 1, 2019, the annual fee on the Amex Business Platinum Card has increased to $595.
The way I see it, the single biggest (relatively) new perk on the Amex Personal Platinum Card is that it offers 5x points on airfare, while the single biggest new perk on the Amex Business Platinum Card is that it offers a 35% refund on Pay with Points redemptions.
Ultimately this is a very nice new addition for the business version of the card, though I wish the 5x points on airfare didn’t just apply when booking through amextravel.com. The good news is that a majority of itineraries can be booked through Amex Travel at the same price as elsewhere. However, everyone has reasons for which website they prefer booking through, and for complex itineraries, tickets might not price the same.
So there’s still value in the 5x points on airfare offered with the personal card, given that it applies to travel booked directly with airlines.
It’s always great to see a card get more benefits without anything being taken away. Being able to take additional Priority Pass guests and getting 5x points on airfare and prepaid hotels through amextravel.com is a nice improvement, especially as the annual fee isn’t increasing.
However, this isn’t a full substitute for the 5x points offered on the personal card.
What do you make of the new 5x points on airfare benefit when booking through amextravel.com? Will it change where you book travel, or will you still use the personal card so you can get 5x points on tickets purchased directly with airlines?